Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Back from the Break

On Monday the children worked on their Winter Reports and focused on spacing, proper letter formation and writing three things they did over the break. During Art the class they drew pictures of scenery and in Music they played with the rhythm sticks.
During morning job time we talked about new years resolutions and wrote about things we are not good at now that we would like to be better at (see below). Then they made fireworks with “glue and lots of different colored glitter”.
In the afternoon we began our Avenida de la Playa study by reading the book “Open Your Heart” by Grant and Layne Pecoff and discussing all of the different places people live. The children then drew pictures of their neighborhood communities and wrote about what community means to them.
New Years Resolutions:
“To learn how to speak English” ~A.G.
“To learn how to ride my bike” ~E.M.
“I want to learn how to fix my bike” ~M.N
“I want to be able to ride a bike without training wheels” ~J.R
“I want to be a better reader” ~J.M
“I want to improve my reading and learn how to do a handstand” ~H.C
“”I want to feed my cat everyday” ~P.W
“I want to be a better sister” ~N.S
“I want to learn how to do a bridge” ~ M.E
“I want to learn how to do a handstand” ~T.S
“I want to paint a cobra” ~E.E
“I want to guess what’s in Ned’s head” – A.R

On Tuesday “at morning meeting we read “Our Class is Going Green”. After we read the book we wrote about how to be green. To be green I will not litter instead of littering. So I will throw stuff in the trash can and keep the earth clean so it will smile at me. At the writing bean table I wrote about what I know about Avenida de la Playa. I know that I ate lunch at a place there that was kind of scary because it has ghosts and skeletons that had blood on its teeth. At Todd Time we played with the parachute. After Todd Time we glued trash onto a big piece of black paper. The other group glued recycled things onto blue paper. We are going to put them on the garbage cans to let people know what goes in them. During Readers’ Workshop we went on a hunt for readers. Below is a list of all the readers they saw at TCS.” ~E.E
Laura and Carrie reading the computer; Marilyn reading name tags and her computer; Julie Lee reading her January calendar for visiting guest artists; Denise reading a note for Jorge; Rachel reading a message letter; Lisa A reading her memory book (a planner); Tammy reading a message she wrote on her computer; Ryan (in first grade) reading a weather report; ALL of the first graders reading books in the library; The sixth graders reading their laptops; the fourth graders reading a screen; the third graders reading papers on the rug; the second graders reading papers at their desk.

No comments: